Congratulations to all the Team Rage Jiu-Jitsu students who competed in the Copa Nova Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournament in Ashburn, Virginia this weekend. As a team, we placed 7th overall in the Adult team standings despite fielding only 4 competitors. Our children’s team, despite some very tough competiton, did even better placing 5th overall in the Children/Teen standings.
- Jeremy West won the Men’s Advanced No-Gi under 165lbs division and Men’s under 150lbs blue belt division. Jermey won all of his matches by submission. Included in his victories were impressive submission wins over top competitors Dave Jacobs (black belt Yamasaki/Fairfax JJ) and Tim Koren (purple belt 50/50).
- Larry Gillet dominated his opponent and came close on several submission attempts before winning on points to take the Men’s 30+ No gi Intermediate under 160lbs division title.
- Michelle Welti fought a tough match in the Women’s Absolute division losing on points to a very game competitor from Team Lloyd Irvin. Look for Michelle to continue to step up her game and bring back the gold in her next tournament.
- Kristopher Bishop, competing in his first BJJ tournament, won the Mens 30+ No-Gi Intermediate under 200lbs division and placed third in the Men’s Intermediate over 195lbs division.
Children’s Team results
- Christian Gillet, dominated both his Children’s Advanced Gi and Advanced No-Gi under 110 lbs divisions winning all his matches by submission
- Abby Ayala, competing in only her second tournament, took 3rd in the Children’s Advanced No-Gi under 80lbs division
- Koen Gorham, competing in just his second tournament, fought well in the Children’s advanced Gi and No-Gi divisions losing each time to eventual champion Jamir Johnson
- Patrick Hailey, competing in his first tournament with only weeks of instruction, took 2nd in the Children’s Beginner No-Gi under 95lbs division and placed 3rd in the Children’s Beginner Gi under 95lbs division
- Taylor Prejean, competing in her first tournament, fought an extremely strong competitor after moving up a weight class and ended up taking 2nd in the Children’s Beginner No-Gi under 80lbs division
- Keegan Daley, competing in his first tournament and facing tough competition, took 2nd in the Children’s Beginner Gi under 80lbs division
A special thanks to all those parents and team members who came out and supported the competitors.
Videos coming soon!!!